Our Story

St. Matthew’s Evangelical Lutheran congregation was organized October 23, 1892 by Rev. Christian Langholz, who was also serving Lamberton and Johnsonville township.  During the first few years the services were held in the homes of the various members.  Then, in the year 1897, the congregation decided to build a church.  The land for the church and cemetery was donated by John Henning.  Members, together with friends of the congregation, raised the money for the church building, and it was built soon after.  It was a fine church for the small congregation.

In 1895, Waterbury township joined together to share the pastor with the Lamberton township, the Johnsonville township, and St. Matthew’s church.  In 1905, St. Matthew’s terminated its relation with the other congregations and called their own pastor.  Along with the new pastor, the church added a parsonage, with one room being set aside for religious instruction.

In May of 1907, the church building was completely destroyed by fire by an unknown origin.  This calamity, however, did not discourage the members.  A few days later they decided to build a new church with the cornerstone being laid by Rev. Lamprecht on June 16, 1907.

Over the next 30 years, St. Matthew continued to grow, and a new school house was built, doing away with the teaching in the parsonage.  Also, a new roof was built on the church and a furnace installed.  In 1937, a complete basement and foundation was put under the church.  Dedication of the basement took place on October 24, 1937.  Soon after, the congregation put in new steps in front of the church and had the church decorated by Roy Olson of Marshall, MN.

The church observed its 50th anniversary celebration in 1942. It was around this time that the Women’s Missionary Society was organized.  This was one of the parent organizations of The American Lutheran Church of Women.  Soon after, the basement was renovated and enlarged, a double garage was added to the parsonage, and the Brotherhood and Junior Lutheran were organized.  The congregation was also beginning to think in terms of building a new church.

In the late 1950’s and early 1960’s, the St. Matthew Lutheran Church Women, Altar Guild, and the 77-club were organized, released time classes began, and an annual Stewardship Program was instituted.  The congregation incorporated and the Constitution was revised.  Christ Lutheran, Wanda, and St. Matthew joined to form a parish with the two Luther Leagues combining to form a parish league.

In 1962, the congregation began looking for a site on which to build a new church, and on March 19, 1963, the congregation voted to buy the present five-acre site in the city of Wabasso.  The building was completed in 1966, and a Dedication service was held in June, with a final service in the old church on June 19, 1966, one year before the 75th anniversary of St. Matthew Lutheran Church.


At the 75th anniversary, a new Conn Organ was purchased and individual communion cups were obtained.  A Christian and U.S. Flag were also given to the church.  Stained glass windows were added to the southern side of the nave in 1969, and an Ecumenical Thanksgiving service was held at St. Matthew in conjunction with St. Annes Catholic Church and the Methodist and Presbyterian Church of Wabasso. 

A new parsonage was built adjacent to the church and dedicated on January 25, 1970.  In June of 1970, Christ Lutheran of Wanda disbanded, terminating the parish that St. Matthew had with them. 

In 1980, the three stained glass windows on the northern side of the nave were installed and dedicated.  The two upper rooms were built for added meeting space, and the old stained glass windows were mounted in the Fellowship hall under the stairs leading up to the rooms.  An advent wood carving made by Peter Berg, gifted to the church, and placed near the altar.

A cassette ministry was begun in 1982 so that tapes of the services could be taken to shut-ins.  And that same year, an observance was held for the burning of the mortgage making St. Matthew a debt-free church.  WAFER, Wabasso Area Food  Emergency Reserve, was given room in the basement for a storage pantry in 1985. 

In 1987, St. Matthew Lutheran Church became a member of the new Evangelical Lutheran Church of America.

A severe hailstorm hit Wabasso in 1991 and did considerable damage to the church and parsonage, but did not deter the spirit.  In 1992, St. Matthew Lutheran celebrated its 100th anniversary